The game Blackjack is also called Vingt-Un, meaning Twenty One, and a player has to get cards of the value of Twenty One for the best possible win. This game is played against the dealer rather than against other players, and one or more players can play against the dealer. If their cards add up to 22 or more, they’re ‘bust’ and cannot win regardless if the dealer is also bust or not. Blackjack has a lot of variety of rules depending on the game played and the version.
Value of the cards:
The numbered cards have the same value as the number on them. All the face cards, including the king, queen and jack, have a value of ten each. And the ace card has a value of one or eleven, depending on the rest of the cards. The ace is usually eleven, but if the value of all the cards adds up to more than 21, the value of the ace drops to one. The value of all the cards together is their sum, added up. To win, the player has to have the highest number possible without it being more than 21.
How to play online Blackjack:
- Placing the bet: The player has to place their bet on the game before it starts.
- Initial Dealing of two cards: The dealer deals two cards to every player who has bet on the game. The player’s cards can be facing up or down, depending on the game version or the casino. The dealer gets one card, face up. Sometimes the dealer gets a second card facing down in some versions.
- Hit and stand: If the player is not happy with their cards, they can ‘hit’, which is asking for more cards. The dealer gives one card at a time, of which the player can take as many as they want. One would have to be careful about busting when going for more cards. A variety of other strategies can be used here, as this is the time the player can act.
When one is happy with their cards, they can ‘stand’ or keep those cards.
- The dealer reveals their hand: This step doesn’t take place when all the players have received Blackjack or have busted. If there is at least one player who hasn’t bust or has a blackjack, the dealer reveals their hand. If they don’t have a blackjack, they keep adding more cards to their hand till it reaches 17. The dealer must stop at 17 points or higher without busting.
- Players bet individually against the dealer: The players compare their hand to the dealer individually.
- If they have a higher value than the dealer without going over 21, they win. A hand with two cards consisting of an ace and a face card or a ten-card is called a ‘natural’ or a ‘blackjack’.
- If the player busts, they don’t win, even if the dealer busts.